There are five secret truths about people that they hide from others. Knowing these truths will help you understand that you are not alone in feeling this way; and gives you a better insight on how to relate to others.
- No one is as confident as they appear. Some people look like they have everything altogether. They never seem nervous or unsure of themselves. However, no one is confident all of the time about everything. Everyone has their insecurities and questions themselves. When you compare yourself to these confident people, you are comparing your insides to their outsides, which is not an accurate comparison.
- People like it when others take the initiative. We all like it when people introduce themselves to us, invite us, and be the first to start a conversation. When people take the initiative with us, we feel chosen. However, we are not always chosen, and many times we have to take the initiative and choose others. Knowing that others like to be chosen should motivate us to take the initiative with others.
- People want to feel unique and special. No one wants to feel average or like a number. Everyone wants to feel like they are unique. Most people will not admit it because they feel like it makes them look insecure or self-centered, when the opposite is true. It is a sign of self-esteem to have a desire to feel important rather than dismissing one’s own value.
- People really do care what others think. People commonly say they do not care what others think of them; however, deep down they really do. There are different levels of this desire: some people are overly concerned what others think of them. Some will go out of their way to do things or not do things merely based on others’ perceived opinions of them, which is not Most people do not admit it because they feel like it makes them look insecure or self-centered, when the opposite is true. It is a sign of self-esteem to have a desire to feel important rather than dismissing one’s own value.
- People do not like being the new person. Although being the new person has certain advantages, most people do not like it because they do not know the nuances of the established group. They do not know people’s personalities and who they will connect with. Therefore, when you are the established person in a group, be intentional about making the new person feel welcome.